Sunday, January 18, 2009

My BIG lesson!

Today I had an experience that will probably stay with me for the rest of my life. Let me set the stage.

The day began pretty rough trying to get myself & 2 kids ready for church after being out "partying" all night @ Pastor's 50th Birthday Party. Hubby and I were snipping at each other and that just continued on the drive to church. Once Sunday School let out my son was crying because he didn't get a turn @ a game during class, my daughter was bugging me to sit with a friend, but she couldn't because I had to praise sing and my husband was ushering and that would leave my son (4 yrs old) sitting by himself. So, she's mad and letting me know it, my son is still crying, I'm trying to write my tithe check and the music starts. Oh no, I'm supposed to be on the platform, I'm on the praise team today. Ok well let me just real quick pray. A friend taps me on the shoulder to ask me if I'm singing today, Oh yes I'm on my way I say. I noticed a visitor had come in and sat right in front of me. At this point I needed to stop the tears from flowing and discreetly get up on the platform. A dear friend stops me on my way up and says "Just focus on Jesus." (Thank you, love you, needed it!) Whew...I barely made it before we started the 1st song, I need a 2nd cup of coffee at this point! Service was great and God moved....bonus: my son fell asleep which means I can focus better and hopefully get a uninterupted altar service. Which is where we are in the story, altar service. I notice the visitor in front of me has knelt at her chair to pray and I'm behind her in my chair praying. Then Pastor encourages us to pray for someone near. My husband comes and takes my hand and we began to pray...oh yeah somewhere in there we made up, lol! I'm still not really paying much attention to this visitor. Hubby then goes to pray with someone and there she is, praying. I go over and ask if I can pray with her. She agrees and we began to pray. Then Pastor calls us all to the front and says a few words and dismisses us. I turn to her, "the visitor" and reach my hand out to shake hers and she says "Are you Mindy?"

OH NO! My mind starts racing...is my attitude showing?

Come to find out she works for a friend of mine's husband. She had gone on our church website with my friend's mother to find out church times and location and in the mean time saw a picture of me. My friend's mother, who works with them, told her she knew me and that I was really nice, so to look for me.

Wow! What if I would've allowed my flesh and awful day get the best of me? What if God hadn't sent my friend to tell me to focus? What if I would've never prayed for her or greeted her? I don't know if I will ever see her again, but I learned a BIG lesson today!

As I thought back I'm pretty confident that I didn't let my attitude show, but now I'll remember this day and remind myself that you just don't know who is watching you.

Thank you God for giving me the strength this day. Who knows what might have happened if I would've tried this day by myself.


5 comments:

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Oh how familiar it all is to me. The cares of our life. Praise God you took the time for her. By the way I didnt even notice so you did excellent at not showing your attitude.
Love u Mindy.

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is why I am so proud of you and love you so much!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Loved your post. The truths in it made for an excellent lesson for us all.

Anonymous said...

Mindy, all I can say is: AWESOME POST! And, thanks for sharing. Love you. :)

Anonymous said...

You never know who's watching us. That's why we are called "Living Testimonies". And, seeing how we are encompassed by such a great cloud of witnesses, how much more we need to show His life through ours. Also, glad you made up with Rod. LOL!!!